Friday, April 2, 2010

OK

ok...so now it is time for the labor and delivery story. Why do we women love to hear and tell these stories.

Anyway. I went to my Doc appointment at 8:30 on Monday morning. She said I was 5cm and just walk on over to labor and delivery. Which I was happy to do, this week was a perfect week to have him. Napoleon was not busy at work and he had Friday off anyway and he had no classes because of spring break.

After making my way to my room I called and let everyone know that today was the day. The nurse came in, hook my up to an IV and everyone started to arrive. My Doc came in at 12:00 to break my water. After my water broke, they prepped me for my epidural...this is when things did not go so well.

After he placed everything, I turned around to lie down and got a massive headache . I looked at him and said, "my head hurts real bad". I look of fear came across his face. He told me that sometimes this happens and it is called a spinal headache. When he went in something wrong happened and anyway it was awful. I felt so bad for him, because I know he felt so bad. But believe me, I felt worse. I could not even talk because the pain was so bad.

So they tried to make me comfortable and giving me pain meds and stuff. He finally made the decision to go back and try again. But when I sat up, the pain was so bad I could not have it done. They lied me back down. Then all of a sudden, every nurse on duty came in me room and surrounded me. (not a good feeling) Then they started to yell at each other to start doing stuff, unplugging me, and looking for the babies heart beat(which they could not find), freaking out over my blood pressure, and rushing me to the O.R. The whole time they were touching my stomach. They said I was having a "Titanic Contraction" which means it was a massive contraction that had been strong for a good 15 mins.

Talk about scary stuff. I really didn't know what was going on until I got in the O.R. then I said "holy crap, they want this baby out of me FAST" My doctor came in with sweat running down her face.

They were afraid my placenta was detaching from my uterus.

By then they had shot me with some meds to stop my contractions. They all felt me stomach and the contraction had let up. They checked the baby and me and said we were stable. Then my Doc gave me the choice to go with a C-Section or go back to the room and have the baby vaginally. But keep in mind that I could have to be rushed back and do a C-section if it happened again. I felt I could wait and see.

I went back to my room. Got a blessing and strong medicine for my headaches and rested. My epidural meds wore off at one point so they gave me more. Just in the nick of time too. Not long after that I felt the need to push. Daniel came really fast and was perfect.

Daniel came at 5:22 p.m.
He was 7lbs. 10 oz.
20 inches
Gorgeous
The next day they gave me a "blood patch". Have you ever heard of it. They go back into the epidural site, take blood from you arm and inject it into you spine. It is supposed to go up in your spine and patch up everything. Which was a life saver.
I started getting headaches again when I got home. so my doc has me on meds and MOUNTAIN DEW. Isn't that funny. I rarely drink caffeine, so this is so weird to me. If they do not clear up, I have to do another blood patch.

But other than that, the recovery has been really great. I have to say, things are much smoother this time around. I am not so nervous and nursing is going great. I am really enjoying the baby and watching Aaron with him. I feel so blessed.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow! Lea-Lea of course told me all about it. But your version sounds so different haha! So glad everything went ok with baby Daniel. Sad you had to endure what sounded like a crazy pain headache. Hope that NEVER happens to you again!

Lexi said...

That sounds terrifying! Thank goodness everything ended up ok in the end. And now you have a bundle of cuteness to hold after all that work! Congrats guys, he is handsome!

Joella said...

Wow!! I can't believe you were that close to having that baby. Congratulations. I have a similar story with one of my boys but mine ended in a c-section. Good luck to you all. It was good seeing you.

The Creagers said...

I'm glad that you are doing good and that Aaron is loving his brother. Sorry to hear about the spinal headaches...I had them with Owen. It lasted for 4-5 days and I wanted to die. I hope you are feeling better...love ya!

aidanjordan said...

Oh my goodness! So glad everything turned out well!

Karlee said...

CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE MAN!!! He's adorable!! Glad to hear you're doing better! I had the SAME problem with Boston and had to get the blood patch...it worked temporarily and then I was told to do the same thing with drinking Mt Dew. That didn't really help and things got worse so they sent me to do all kinds of tests. Basically it came down to just giving me caffiene pills and THAT is what actually worked. I was on them for about a week but it was REALLY the only thing that helped the problem. So if things don't clear up, don't go through what I did, just ask for the pills! ;)

mccready's said...

Well that story was traumatic just to read about! Good grief. Isn't it nice to NOT be pregnant now though? Ahhhh... It's always a relief to be done with that phase. I can't wait to hold that little fella!

Becky T said...

Oh, so sweet! What a gorgeous little boy. I'm so happy for your family and can't wait to meet him! And wow, what a crazy delivery story. it sounds pretty scary, I'm glad it all turned out fine. Congratulations to you all!

Kelli said...

hey alicia, yes i'm a stalker. :) i feel your pain, literally. they did a wet tap on me too. my blood patch didn't work. AND my baby was in the NICU {with my 1st babe, ry} so i couldn't see her for the 1st 12 hours. boo.

anyway, YAY for a healthy & beautiful baby boy! CONRATS to you & napo!!

:)kelli {kerri's sis}